Pages

Sunday 9 July 2017

Time just flies when you're having fun!

It's been almost three months since I last posted - where did that time go??? While work and family continue to keep me busy, I have been quietly working away anyway. However, with a nephew coming to stay with us for 6 months, I gave up my sewing room to youngest DS (so his cousin can move into his room) and eventually got a smaller desk set up in the dining / family area.

With some of the family away for a European summer holiday, the usual chores around home are much less time consuming than usual so I managed to get through a few things on my to-do list from January:


  • Finish Press Start (binding, bury threads)

  • Finish Giant Chevron is quilted, binding is attached and I am in the process of stitching it down and burying the remaining threads. I've tried to flick back through my blog to find when I first started it, here in this post from January 2014 the inner giant chevron was completed, so it's safe to say I've been working on this for at least 3 1/2 years and it's moved countries twice, so it will need a good scrub before I can declare it truly finished!

  • Finish Opal Essence (quilting, binding, bury threads) - I have quilted 30 of 40 cubes - I can see the end :)

  • Complete remaining Vintage Quilt Revival blocks What do you think? 
  • After lots of shuffling with the help of Suz, this is my final layout.
    I had a little play with Instagram Layout - all 42 blocks, always both /all three versions of a block together. +Suz J 's blocks on the left, then my block(s) to the right [except second set of blocks from the bottom left, I reversed the order by accident]. Isn't it amazing how different so many of them turned out?
    Next step is 3" sashings and borders in cream, I will need backing, and then I have to think some more about quilting...

  • Piece Metro Rings top 

  • Plus Block project is done - turned out very different to how I had imagined it, but I LOVE it!
  • "Aniwaniwa - Rainbow"
    Just some simple straightline quilting, backed by a flannel sheet (after an unsuccessful attempt at using a flat cotton sheet)
  • 'Arty' Pohutukawa landscape - yet to make more progress

  • That leaves me with binding (Giant Chevron), quilting (Opal Essence), improv piecing (Pohutukawa) to get my list of resolutions from January finished. Not bad going, especially in comparison to last year!

    I've finally figured out that I need to have a balance of different sewing things around to be happy and to make progress, and with these tops being completed, I'll be very quilting-heavy again. I'll have to think about what projects I can start to give me enough of a balance - it's not like I have no stash to play with...

    Happy Sewing!

    2 comments:

    1. Aniwaniwa is the perfect name for your rainbow quilt. I still can't believe you got it finished so quickly!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Isn't it incredible how different some of yours and Suz's blocks look just from fabric placement? Love your plusses quilt!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for visiting, I love to know you were here!